Communications Expert (Population & Development)
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Regional Communications Advisor or his/her designated mandated representative(s), and in consultation with the Programme Manager, the UN Volunteer Communications Expert (Population & Development) will:
1. Design, plan and implement communication and advocacy materials
- Develop and implement a communication strategy for the “CISPop; Better data for better policies” Programme;
- Lead the development, translation and production of communication and advocacy materials on the programme and related population issues in the CIS region, including briefing papers, press releases, news items and articles, and ensure wide dissemination of communication and advocacy materials through effective channels;
- Generate brochures, factsheets, stories, photos and videos from the field to inform the media and general public of the programme, its results and ensure donor visibility at national and regional levels;
- Coordinate the implementation of visibility, communications, and outreach activities with UNFPA Regional and Country Offices, and IPs;
- Lead monitoring and evaluation of communication and visibility campaigns as well as media materials;
- Support the organization of meetings and other project-related workshops and events and ensure proper communication and dissemination of relevant information;
- Support the positioning of the Programme, its donors and partners in the public and media, as a reference project that promotes evidence-based policy-making;
2. Manage media relations
- Lead relationship-building with the press, especially in the CIS region, and maintain and update a database of relevant press in line with the project objectives/priorities;
- Respond timely and clearly to media inquiries, in consultation with the Regional Communications Adviser, and to a variety of inquiries and information requests; prepare related correspondence; identify topics, background information, news-related development and coverage of interest;
- Facilitate interviews.
3. Build and maintain communication-related partnerships
- Identify and develop communication-related partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility, including with relevant influencers;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors;
- Collaborate closely with communication colleagues in the country offices to ensure consistency with corporate policies, messaging and initiatives.
4. Facilitate knowledge building and sharing
- Ensure wide dissemination and visibility of project progress and achievements;
- Identify, compile, and document success stories and best practices, and manage knowledge sharing among IPs;
- Provide training and workshops on communication and advocacy as appropriate;
- Manage and document Knowledge Management products, developed during the implementation of the Programme.
Advanced higher degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Communications, development studies or related relevant field; a first-level university degree or equivalent in combination with relevant training and/or professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree;
At least 5 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in communications in a development context.
- Demonstrated experience and affinity with population issues, (official) statistics and data;
- Experience working in the UN or other international development organization is considered an asset;
- Excellent social media skills, and familiarity with Russian-language social media channels and culture
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Russian(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Developing and implemention of a communication strategy
Building Trust, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Creativity, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Knowledge Sharing, Planning and Organizing, Respect for Diversity
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 30 November 2020