Associate Political Affairs Officer
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Under the direct supervision of Director of Mediation Section, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Prepare summary and analytical reports including, but not limited to situation reports, briefing notes, options papers, code cables and input for the reports of the Secretary-General to the Security Council, General Assembly or other relevant bodies;
- Prepare contextual information materials such as background notes, political profiles and database of relevance to the assigned portfolio;
- Manage information to ensure its accessibility and utility;
- Monitor actions taken by intergovernmental groups, UN organizations, government and non-governmental organizations related to political developments;
- Train, coach, mentor and ensure capacity development of national staff and/or (non-governmental counterparts as appropriate;
- Assist with the development of integrated donor funding proposals and the drafting of grant proposals;
- Assist with the monitoring of the Section’s project implementation according to the set procedures and regulations;
- Ensure the compliance of project documentation with the set requirements and procedures and maintain complete records of all project and budget-related operations (database);
- Provide inputs to strategic planning processes and monitoring of compliance with the MINUSMA Result-Based Budget and the Mediation Division Work Plan and contribute to periodic performance reports;
- Support programme development by conducting needs assessment and drafting of concept notes and project proposals;
- Analyze, review and report on project implementation and budget spending of the Section;
- Contribute to the organization of high-level events with national authorities, such as conferences, trainings, workshops, if/ when required;
- Participate in internal and external coordination meetings and liaise with other Mission sections and project partners;
- Follow up on vendor payment transactions in a timely manner in accordance with the regulations and applicable procedures;
- Assist in day to day management and reporting on the project activities;
- Any other assigned task related to planning and project management.
Political science, international relations, international economics, law, public administration or related fields. A first-level university degree (BA) in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in political affairs, diplomacy, conflict resolution, development, disarmament or related field.
Experience in political outreach, analysis and reporting is required.
Experience in an international organization or non-governmental organization in a conflict or post-conflict setting is highly desirable.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
Good computer skills desirable.
Adaptability and Flexibility, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call for to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 24 September 2020