Associate Communication Officer
Under the direct supervision of the Partnership Specialist, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Assist in integrating communication, advocacy and outreach activities into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives, as necessary mainly related to Women Peace and Security and Governance Flagships.
- Support in monitoring and analysing social media.
- Support the unit by providing inputs and support to the launch of in-country UN Women/ UN system corporate and local campaigns and special events.
- Draft briefing materials both in French and English, and press releases and coordinate its dissemination through effective channels.
- Maintain and manage list of relevant media in country.
- Respond to inquiries for public and UN system information materials.
- Assist the coordination of Mali’s country office FB content and maintenance based on corporate requirements.
- Upload information to knowledge management system on a regular basis, including news, updates, resources.
Bachelor degree in communications, public relations, journalism or other relevant field.
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience (up to 2 years) in Gender Equality and Sahel’s regional dynamics
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies,volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded.
- Demonstrated experience of handling a public relations, communication or advocacy project/ campaign.
- Experience in the use of social media.
- French(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Learning and development are a central part of the UN Youth Volunteer’s assignment and take place before, during and after his or her assignment in the field. Ideally, offering diverse opportunities for learning and development aim to strengthen the volunteer’s skills and competences, improve the quality of the assignment and keep the volunteer’s motivation high.
Learning elements for the UN Youth Volunteer include the development of:
- Professional skills: including specific competencies and reflection on assignment-related abilities; and on-the-job skills such as time management, problem solving, team building; and career preparedness such as interview skills, CV preparation, job searching.
- Inter-personal skills: including communication and listening skills; multi-cultural awareness and cultural competency; and conflict and stress management.
- Volunteering-related skills: including leadership; civic responsibility; and engagement and active participation.
Beyond the learning opportunities provided by UNV, the host agency will support knowledge and capacity development in the technical areas that are relevant to the UN Youth Volunteer’s assignment. The host agency will provide, at its expense, UN Youth Volunteers with equal opportunity to participate in training courses and workshops offered to its personnel.
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Creativity, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Knowledge Sharing, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams
This assignment is funded by the Government of Sweden, therefore only Swedish nationals are eligible to apply. Moreover, candidates must be between 18 and 29 years of age throughout the assignment.
Please apply via the link below. You can then either log in if you already have an account or register via ‘Candidate Signup’. You may apply to a maximum of three assignments per advertisement and indicate your order of preference in the ‘Additional Remarks’ section of your profile.
Application deadline: 15 March 2021
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selection will be done by the UN Host Entity at the level of the country of assignment. Interviews will be conducted by the UN Host Entity between 29 March and 16 April. Usually these interviews are competency-based.
Assignment Preparation Training
Prior to deployment, the selected candidate will be required to attend a mandatory preparation training from 7 to 11 June 2021 organized by Sida.
COVID-19: In case of travel restrictions, assignments may start remotely or start dates may be postponed.