UN Youth Volunteer in Policy and Liaison
Edad requerida: entre 18 y 29 años durante todo el periodo de servicio voluntario. Reclutamiento abierto a todas las nacionalidades, excepto a nacionales del país de asignación.
As the leading organisation for migration, IOM is actively working on the inclusion of migrants and the different aspects of migration into both the new National Development Plan (III) and United Nations Cooperation Framework (UNCF) which will be adopted mid-2020. The UN Volunteer will support all different aspects in terms of policy development and the mainstreaming of migration, as a cross-cutting issue, in national adoption processes as well as the UNCF and subsequent implementation of programmes.
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator and close collaboration with the Liaison Officer, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Participate in the development of follow up mechanism and programming related to the implementation of the new UNCF and NDPIII.
- Assist in mainstreaming and monitoring adherence to frameworks such as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Global Compact for Migration (GCM), NDPIII and UNCF in all documents
- Monitor and foster the adherence of IOM prorams with the SDGs;
- Draft policy briefs on issues related to migration as it may be required;
- Attend UN coordination meeting on SDG and ORG as required;
- Support the National Coordination Committee on Migration in defining and monitoring the implementation of annual work plas;
- Support he elaboration of the GCM national action plan;
- Assit in the coordination of the UN Network on Migration in Uganda;
- Assist in the creation of IOM’s country strategy 2021-2025
- Assist the approval process of the National Policy on Migration
- Participate in relevant joint agency assessments, task-force teams, workshops etc.
- Assist the Programme Coordinator and project managers in any other activities as required by operational needs.
Degree in Law, Social Sciences, International Development, International Relations or another related field
Demonstrated interest and/or experience (up to 2 years) in development projects or in assistance to vulnerable communities in any capacity required.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Learning and development are a central part of the UN Youth Volunteer’s assignment and take place before, during and after his or her assignment in the field. Ideally, offering diverse opportunities for learning and development aim to strengthen the volunteer’s skills and competences, improve the quality of the assignment and keep the volunteer’s motivation high.
Learning elements for the UN Youth Volunteer include the development of:
- Professional skills: including specific competencies and reflection on assignment-related abilities; and on-the-job skills such as time management, problem solving, team building; and career preparedness such as interview skills, CV preparation, job searching.
- Inter-personal skills: including communication and listening skills; multi-cultural awareness and cultural competency; and conflict and stress management.
- Volunteering-related skills: including leadership; civic responsibility; and engagement and active participation.
Beyond the learning opportunities provided by UNV, the host agency will support knowledge and capacity development in the technical areas that are relevant to the UN Youth Volunteer’s assignment. The host agency will provide, at its expense, UN Youth Volunteers with equal opportunity to participate in training courses and workshops offered to its personnel.
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Creativity, Empowering Others, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Judgement and Decision-making, Knowledge Sharing, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Vision, Working in Teams
This assignment is funded by the Government of Korea, therefore only Korean nationals are eligible. Candidates who have served as UN Youth Volunteer funded by Korea before are not eligible to apply. Former UN University Volunteers are eligible.
Candidates must be between 22 and 29 years of age throughout the duration of their service, i.e. born between 1 July 1991 and 1 July 1998.
Selected candidates will be invited to attend an Assignment Preparation Training in Bonn, Germany from 15 – 18 June 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selection will be done by the UN Host Entity at the level of the country of assignment. Interviews will be conducted by the UN Host Entity between 30 March and 24 April. Usually these interviews are competency-based.
How to apply
Please apply via the link below. You can then either log in if you already have an account or register via ‘Candidate Signup’.
You may apply to a maximum of three assignments per advertisement and indicate your order of preference in the ‘Additional Remarks’ section of your profile.
Application deadline: 8 March 2020