Associate Policy and Best Practices Officer
Associate Policy and Best Practices Officer
This position is located in Bangui, in the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Central African Republic (MINUSCA). The Associate Policy and Best Practices Officer (APBPO) reports to the Mission’s Chief of Staff through the Policy and Best Practices Officer (PBPO).
Under the direct supervision of the PBPO, the APBPO will carry out the following duties:
Promote and facilitate organization learning and the sharing of knowledge within the Mission and between the Mission and other missions and UNHQ:
• In consultation with the PBPO and the Chief of Staff and assisted by the Policy and Best Practices Service at UN Headquarters, support the knowledge management action plan that will address the Mission's operational learning needs;
• Promote the active use throughout the Mission of the DPO-DOS knowledge-sharing tools and systems, such as the Policy and Practice Database, End of Assignment Reports, Surveys of Practice and After-Action Reviews, including through the establishment and support of a network of best practices focal points within the Mission;
• Support the Mission Chief of Staff and other senior Mission managers upon request, in identifying gaps in existing official guidance, as identified through needs assessments, evaluations, lessons learned studies, etc., and developing guidance where needed, based on identified gaps;
• Provide inputs to draft guidance as needed, when consulted by UNHQ offices;
• Initiate and coordinate outreach activities, conduct training workshops, seminars, etc.; make presentations on policy, best practices and lessons learning issues;
• Facilitate and/or generate good practices and lessons learned on various Mission work processes, operational responses, organizational systems, mandate implementation, etc.;
• Research, analyze and present information gathered from diverse sources;
• Collect, store and share best practice materials originating in the Mission with UNHQ and other Missions through the Policy and Practice Database, Communities of Practice and other channels and information-sharing fora;
• Prepare and share with Mission leadership syntheses of lessons learned and recommendations documented in the Mission's knowledge sharing reports, as required;
• Organize follow-up action as required on studies undertaken, seminars or workshops on Mission-specific best practices and lessons learned activities;
• Liaise and coordinate with UN partner organizations, national and international organizations and academic institutions on all issues related to lessons learning and knowledge sharing;
• Provide other learning and research services to the Mission as required.
Support the establishment of a Mission-wide system of guidance development based on lessons learned and good practice:
• Promote the integration of lessons learned, good practices and other operational knowledge into work processes, guidance, and planning scenarios;
• Develop, on behalf of the Mission management, an appropriate mechanism for considering and, following up on local-level recommendations generated by knowledge sharing mechanisms;
• Take an active part in the network of Policy and Best Practices Officers and in developing and maintaining the network of Mission focal points;
• In consultation with the Mission Chief of Staff and the senior Mission leadership and supported by the Policy and Best Practices Service (UNHQ), assist the Mission with designing and implementing a mission-specific guidance development process;
• Support the Mission Chief of Staff and other senior Mission managers upon request, with the development, review, approval and dissemination of mission-specific guidance;
• Support alignment of DPO-DOS policy development priorities with Mission guidance development priorities;
• In consultation with the Mission Chief of Staff and the senior Mission leadership, and assisted by the Policy and Best Practices Service (UNHQ), support coordination of and/or implement policy reviews and studies;
• Coordinate policy development on cross-cutting issues, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies;
• Liaise with UN partner organizations, national and international organizations and academic institutions on all issues related to policy/guidance development.
University degree (Bachelor’s or Master's degree or equivalent) in Political Science, International Relations, International Economics, Law, Business Administration and Management, Public Administration, Human Resources, social studies or other humanities-related fields.
At least 2 years of progressively responsible experience in international affairs, preferably in the area of knowledge management, organizational learning, policy development or evaluation. Experience with coordinating and communicating change management with diverse stakeholders is highly desirable. Experience in programme management/evaluation is desirable. Experience working in or in support of a field operation of the United Nations Common System or a comparable international organization is desirable. Experience in a conflict or post-conflict environment is desirable.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Mandatory), Level - Fluent