Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Human Rights Field Office and the overall supervision of the Director of MINUSMA Human Rights and Protection Division, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Gather information and report on the human rights situation in a designated geographical area, including through close cooperation with other United Nations actors and the community;
- Monitor and keep the supervisor regularly informed on developments concerning the human rights situation;
- Visit and monitor detention centres for compliance with international human rights norms;
- Monitor trials for compliance with international human rights norms;
- Conduct fact-finding missions; Participate in monitoring activities;
- Carry out investigations into abuses/violations of human rights or humanitarian law;
- Prepare case files for submission to the authorities and for inclusion in the OHCHR data base;
- Assist in the designing and the delivery of capacity building activities;
- Participate in the establishment and maintenance of contacts with local authorities as well as international organizations operating in the country and civil society;
- Use the OHCHR database to enter cases and document allegations and violations of human rights violations;
- Perform other related duties as required by the head of field office or the Director of the Human Rights Division;
Law, political science or social sciences; international specialized studies on human rights preferred.
24 months of relevant experience in human rights. Knowledge of international mechanisms to seek redress for Human Rights violations is an asset. Experience in drafting various documents, including reports on human rights issues, and in research will be an asset.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Mastery of Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint is required.