|Associate Programme Assistant||11 March 2021||Nat. Specialist||UNEP||Kenya|
01 March 2021
11 March 2021
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Regional Director, the incumbent will function as an Associate Programme Assistant and will undertake the following tasks:
• Perform a number of varied responsibilities in support of program management activities, including project planning, monitoring, reporting, targeted communications, and support to the office’s common areas of work.
• Initiate and maintain contact with internal and external departments, offices and units, as well as sister UN agencies, the UN Country Teams, national/international NGOs, private sector and other partners to coordinate program delivery, identify and assist to resolve challenges, and compile required programme management information.
• Assist in the provision of technical advisory services to member states on environmental issues upon request and in preparation of major environmental related events and forums in partnership with relevant national, regional and global institutions;
• Organize conferences and events, including making arrangements for staff and technical support, facilities, online platforms, registration, catering; monitor budgets; and provide information to participants;
• Create and prepare documents, such as agendas, presentations, reports, correspondences, and assist in organizing dialogues with a wide range of partners; arrange schedules, appointments, conference calls, and meetings, and make travel arrangements as required;
• Support the development, overall layout, design, editing, and format of publications, such as newsletters, promotional materials, posters, brochures, periodic statistical and/or progress reports, other written materials, and/or coordinate appropriate awareness and outreach activities as assigned.
• Maintain essential databases, perform data entry and retrieval functions, create spreadsheets, and compile statistics;
• Conduct research on a number of environmental issues as necessary and analyze information on various thematic issues. Compile background materials and prepare analytical briefs, background and information notes, and draft communication materials on various topics related to the operations of the UN Environment Programme Africa Office.
• In collaboration with programme managers, identify and develop possible environmental project concepts, in partnership with relevant agencies and institutions, and assist with Africa Office activities including resource mobilization;
• Communicate, interpret, and clarify program related matters and specific policy information; support recommended updating and/or development of internal policies and procedures;
• Support processes to analyze trends and emerging issues on environment in Africa and identify existing and planned initiatives and programmes of other institutions to address such issues;
• Perform special functions for the office of the Deputy Regional Director, such as maintaining and updating records, coordinating needs for space and telecommunications, developing forms, templates and procedures for assigned areas, evaluating transfer transcripts, and reviewing and assessing financial aid applications;
• Perform other related duties as assigned
Bachelor degree or equivalent
An advanced university degree in International Development, Environmental sciences, Biological Sciences, Environmental management, or in a related field is required. A first level university degree in combination with two years qualifying professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
A first level university degree in combination with two years qualifying professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
Other energy, environment and climate change related experience, Sustainable natural resources management and climate change adaptation
International Development, Environmental Sciences, Biological Sciences, Environmental Management
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Application deadline: 11th March 2021