Learn about the UN and UNV
To prepare for your UN Volunteer assignment, take time to learn about the founding principles of the United Nations, the mission and mandate of the UNV programme, and about your host entity.
- 1. Review the United Nations System
*Review the United Nations system chart, and identify where UNV and your host entity fit in the larger organization.
- 2. Read the UN Charter and other key documents
- Which parts inspire and motivate you the most?
- How do these relate to your assignment?
Also have a look at two other key United Nations documents.
Got more questions about the United Nations? Ask DAG to find answers.
- 3. Learn about the structure and organization of the UN and how it works
*The six main bodies of the United Nations were established under the UN Charter when the Organization was founded in 1945. However, the United Nations organization is much larger, comprising of 15 agencies and several programmes.
Watch these videos to learn more:
- UN-A Quick Guide
- What is the UN and how does it work?
- How does the UN work?
- Behind the Scenes: UN General Assembly
- Behind the Scenes: A Day in the Life of Secretary-General
Looking for information in other languages? The self-paced course on Learning English through Learning about the United Nations covers the history and role of the United Nations and more. Start learning at your pace and time!
- 4. Sign up for a UN Guided Tour
*Take a UNHQ Guided Tour from the comfort of your home or duty station, and become familiar with the work of the organization.
- 5. Learn about the United Nations Funds and Programmes
*Learn about the mandate and important work of these UN agencies. Which agency inspires you the most? How does their work relate to your assignment?
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) (2020)
- UN Volunteers programme (UNV) (2017)
- The Refugee Agency (UNHCR) (2020)
- UN International Children’s Fund (UNICEF) (2016)
- World Food Programme (WFP), which won Nobel Peace Prize 2020
- UN Environment Programme (UNEP)
- UN Population Fund (UNFPA) (2015)
- UN Capital Development Fund and Innovation (UNCDF) (2018)
- 6. Get to know UNV up close
Below are linked resources to help you learn more about the mission and mandate of UNV, along with its history and value in promoting the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In order to also read the latest “volunteer voices” from the field and news about UNV’s activities and partners - go often to unv.org and follow our Facebook/Twitter and Instagram accounts @UNVolunteers.